Saturday, September 22, 2012

Makeup, Maybe?

This time last year, I owned about 10 makeup products (give or take a few lip glosses).  I now own a couple of hundred makeup products.  Makeup has become my hobby.  A small obsession, if you will.  I prefer the term "creative outlet." 

What has brought about this sudden, compulsive need to buy and wear makeup?  Trying all the newest products and trends?  I blame my husband.  After all, it was his idea and blaming him makes it a lot easier to justify the ridiculous amount of money I'm spending on myself.  


Back in high school, I spent about 2 hours getting ready every day.  I loved picking the perfect outfit and making sure my hair and makeup were flawless. But by my second week of college, sleep became my number one priority and I no longer cared what I looked like.  I also because incredibly cheap and makeup was just not my top priority.  Unlike food or toilet paper.


It got to the point where I wouldn't get up more than 10 minutes ahead of needing to leave the house.  I was perfectly happy with this plan (I love sleep) until I entered the professional workforce and stepped up my wardrobe (a slippery slope, I say).  My "just out of bed" face didn't really match my awesome power suits.


My husband noticed.  He begged me to spend more time on myself.  His argument was that no one would notice me or take me seriously at work while I continued to look like a skinny rodent in a nice dress (I'm taking some liberties with his phrasing).  My argument was that makeup is expensive and unnecessary.


I'm not sure how or when I finally gave in.  I started reading fashion magazines.  I discovered YouTube tutorials and beauty blogs.  Slowly, I started purchasing items I had read about or seen used in a video. 


And here we are today.  I am a full-blown makeup addict.  None of my friends or coworkers are really into makeup and I need an outlet for my thoughts and opinions.  I'm not brave enough for YouTube.  This is a little project for myself - I really don't expect anyone to read this.  So if you do find yourself on my humble blog, thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment